No matter how much you try, sometimes grass dies or needs to be replaced.
Of course, when this happens you can lay out some seed, but that can take quite a bit of time and isn’t guaranteed to grow evenly.
This is where sod comes in.
When you buy sod you are buying grass that is already grown by professionals to help give your lawn that glorious green glow. You can lay it out and have a lawn that is sure to impress.
Laying out sod is hard work but it can be very rewarding.
Below we’ll discuss why you should hire a contractor to lay your sod for you and what to look for to help you find the best contractor for the job.
What Is Sod?
Sod is grass that was pre-grown by professional growers. It doesn’t have any weeds when you buy it and is held together usually by its roots and a layer of soil. This allows it to be transported to the location where it can take root and grow.
It is important that you buy sod that is suited for the local climate where you will be laying it. Some variants may fare better in specific climates than others.
It can be rolled out like a carpet to cover and grow into wide patches of soil. This is significantly faster than growing grass seed and is likely to result in a uniform and a healthy patch of grass.
The main benefit of using sod over planting new seeds is the speed at which you can go from a barren patch of dirt to a lush green grass.
Sod is a luxury product that is well worth the cost considering how quickly it can improve how your yard looks.
What Is The Process For Getting Sod Laid Out?
The process for getting sod laid out is simple but time-intensive.
To lay out sod you’ve got to:
- Measure out your area: First, you have to find out how much area you want to cover with sod. This includes determining how much of that area doesn’t require sod such as pathways.
- Acquire the sod: You want to make sure that you get your sod from a reputable seller who has grown it properly. The delivery should be timed out so that it arrives after the soil has been prepared.
- Prepare the soil: The soil needs to be cleared of debris, rocks, vegetation, etc. It should also be tilled 4-6 inches deep. Make sure that the soil is even and 1-2 inches below any pathways.
- Water the soil: When it comes to laying sod, water is key. Remember that sod is real grass and needs water to grow and survive.
- Lay the sod: Now you have to lay the sod out row by row, trimming where needed.
- Water regularly: Now that the sod has been laid you have to remember to water it regularly. The watering should start out as light but frequent and can become heavier as the sod has a chance to grow its roots into the soil. Feel free to lift a bit of the sod to see if the soil has gotten wet after watering so that you can be sure that you’re giving it enough water.
- Maintenance: After the sod has rooted itself in the soil you can water it less regularly. For cutting the grass start with cutting it longer and move to shorter cuts over time.
Why You Should Hire A Contractor To Lay Sod
With all of the steps that are required to lay sod you want to make sure that you do it right. That’s why you might want to consider bringing in a contractor to lay out the sod the right way.
If you really want the sod to survive and look great you should bring in an experienced contractor who has done it before and knows what to look out for.
This has the added benefit of allowing you to tap into their experience as there are a variety of special cases where you might have to change how you are laying out the sod (such as on slopes).
If you don’t have this experience you may end up creating a lawn that pools up water or might not drain properly.
Ultimately hiring a contractor will make sure that the job is being done right the first time and can save you time and headaches into the future.
What Should You Look For In A Contractor To Lay Your Sod?
The primary thing you should look for when trying to find a contractor to lay your sod should be experience and equipment.
You want to contact a contractor who is capable of doing the job right the first time.
Although of course cost is a concern, you likely won’t be laying sod often so the focus should be on getting someone who will do the job right so you can continue to enjoy your grass for a long time to come.
You don’t want the grass to die on you after it is laid or to otherwise create problems for you because someone did bad work.
So how would you find the right contractor for the job?
Look online for good reviews especially about previous experience laying out sod and have them come out to get a quote. If everything looks great then they should be capable of doing a great job.
Knowing how much work is involved with laying out sod, it’s no wonder why people look to contractors to do it for them. If you’re looking for a contractor to lay out your sod in Windsor, Ontario, give RKS Services Group Inc a call. With our experience and our skill, we can come out and lay your sod for you with ease and offer you a free quote for the work ahead of time.